Frio Cielo Ranch
The Woodrow Heard Site is a prehistoric, large campsite on the upper Dry Frio River in northern Uvalde County. Located on the East side of the Dry Frio River on State highway 1051 at the river crossing that is the closest to the Frio Cielo Ranch. This site was excavated several times for artifacts by the State when it put the "new" road in, and is well documented at this link. Long time owners at the Ranch remember Mr. Heard was a County Commissioner and a member of one of the original families in this Canyon. The Heard School is also very close to the same river crossing, only it is further South and on the west side of the highway. It has many very interesting bits of information in frames hung on the walls of the old school house that now acts as a community center for the Reagan Wells area.
We heard stories of a "Ghost town" in between Sabinal and Concan, this is what we found:
Trio was a half mile southeast of the intersection of Farm Road 127 and Little Blanco Creek, eight miles from Sabinal in Uvalde County. In 1907 the Live Oak School was moved from the August Glaeser farm to the site that would become Trio. In 1915 the nearby Hackberry and Prairie View schools were consolidated with the Live Oak School to form the Trio school district (named for the three schools it would replace), which was based in the Live Oak School. A new two-story, four-classroom brick school building was constructed, and eventually grades one through ten were taught in this new Trio schoolhouse. The old wooden Live Oak schoolhouse was converted to provide living quarters for some of the Trio teachers. In 1935 Trio social events were listed in the Uvalde Leader-News. The Trio school district had been incorporated into the Sabinal Independent School District by 1950, and in 1960 Trio had three residences and one abandoned building. By 1990 the community no longer existed, and its old school building was privately owned and was used for grain storage.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Uvalde Leader-News, Jubilee Edition, July 5, 1935.
Jane A. Knapik
In 1915, a four-room, two-story brick schoolhouse was built to replace three smaller schools in the area, and the community of Trio, Texas was born. Set in remote rural Uvalde County north of Sabinal (now at the corners of County Roads 337 and 338), a small town centered around the schoolhouse lasted for a few decades until this school (like countless others around the state) succumbed the the vast consolidation or rural school districts. Now all that is left are the bones of the former building, the interior long ago burned out and abandoned to the cattle.